What is your definition of an entrepreneur?

A fit team tends to be able to ride the roller coaster leading to success without throwing up. Implementing a strong core as you form a business, paves the way for faster growth and greater success later on. The business matures, which is an important element of how you compete when bigger companies enter your markets. If you delay establishing a strong core in the early stages, the costs of doing so later, escalate disproportionately as you grow, as does the push-back the team tends to present.

What is your definition of an entrepreneur?

Postby akw » Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:34 am

Seems like everyone has a different opinion on what "entrepreneur" means. Given that this is a forum about Entrepreneur's seeking excellence it might be useful to think about what we mean when we say it.

I think there is a link between risk/reward but the concept of being an entrepreneur is still fuzzy to me. I've had this discussion with various people and I'm still building my own definition. On the InsideSpin homepage we find two statements that are related:

"InsideSpin serves technology Entrepreneurs Seeking Excellence. Site value is directed at both new and serial technology entrepreneurs who are looking for a highly focused global community targeting solutions to the challenges facing those building or looking to build successful technology businesses."

"If you are looking to become an entrepreneur, are a first time entrepreneur or an experienced operational leader looking to expand your skills to accelerate success, this community site will allow you and your peers to share, communicate and seek advice across a wide variety of operating challenges."

Types of entrepreneurs identified:
- Wanting to be an entrepreneur
- First time entrepreneur
- Serial technology entrepreneurs
- Operational Leader

Questions/debates I have (or heard others ask ) about being an entrepreneur.
- Can one be an entrepreneur outside high technology?
- Entrepreneurs - born or made?
- What skills make an entrepreneur?
- Do you have to mortgage your house to be classified an entrepreneur?
- Can a person who doesn't invest their own money in something be considered an entrepreneur?
- As part of a large company - can you be an entrepreneur? (for sake of focus large = 10,000+ people)

What do you think? What's YOUR definition of entrepreneur?
akw

Re: What is your definition of an entrepreneur?

Postby LoveGolf » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:29 pm

In my view the core element of being entrepreneurial is the measure of your willingness to follow your dreams -- there is no requirement to start your own business, make money or anything, but rather whether or not you have sufficient confidence, vision and passion to follow through on a dream. If you apply it to business, it likely means you create a business to create and sell the products or services aligned with your vision. If you work for someone else, regardless of your role, you can be considered entrepreneurial if you are the one experimenting with better ways to do things, a characteristic of a great employee.

Thoughts on this?
LoveGolf

Re: What is your definition of an entrepreneur?

Postby akw » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:44 pm

akw

Return to Core Strength