HP and Palm - a match made in ....

A Forum to interact over various topics in the technology industry -- wide open.

HP and Palm - a match made in ....

Postby akw » Thu May 13, 2010 11:03 pm

Just curious what people think of the HP and Palm merger. It's been a couple weeks now. How do you think the two fit together? Do you think it was a good strategic move? Is it going to cause HP to have too many irons in the fire?

Akw
akw

Re: HP and Palm - a match made in ....

Postby LoveGolf » Fri May 14, 2010 1:45 pm

I think HP has no room for the fire any more they have so many irons in it -- ! I can't imagine this being a good thing for the Palm technology, but they already lost the battle to RIM and Apple. This is all playing out similar to the Oracle, Sybase, Informix battles of the 80s, 90s.
LoveGolf

Postby akw » Sun May 16, 2010 12:37 pm

akw

Postby LoveGolf » Mon May 17, 2010 3:12 pm

I'm a big fan of spinning out independent businesses so innovation can flourish. It may be that HP could create great solutions over time but by the time they get to market, the bulk of the leadership opportunity is over. It's true that not all companies want or need to be leaders in what they do and HP may have some alternative motives for wanting Palm - maybe even to make sure someone else does not buy them like RIM -- but to buy them up and hope to use them to be number 2 or 3 in the smart phone business, can't see that happening.
LoveGolf

Postby akw » Sun May 23, 2010 1:25 pm

akw

Return to Industry Talk