Google Ads vs Natural Search on Search Engines

Google Ads vs Natural Search on Search Engines

Postby cotyledon » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:05 am

Hi,

Was wondering about the effectiveness of Google Ads. Should I spend my time on Google Adwords or somehow optimize for the 'natural' search on search engines?
cotyledon

Re: Google Ads vs Natural Search on Search Engines

Postby InsideSpin » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:38 am

I think you can look at this from a variety of angles -- firstly, you're overall goal is to find as many ways as you can for people to find your site and your products. This generally means any and all mechanisms should be explored and some time (and money) should be put into each, at least initially. You should always put in a set of measures that correlate leads to their source to decide if you spend more time on Ads versus natural searching.

Google Ads tend to work well when the target user has some predefined terms and phrases established in the market to find what they are looking for. For example, in the virtualization market, terms like "server consolidation" are well used, so buying Ad time for these could be beneficial, especially if you can afford to outspend key competitors. By contrast, if you are selling things for the new Apple iPad, what terms would you buy -- you would need to wait until the public/consumer venacular settles down a bit to start buying terms in that area. Focusing on site attractiveness through natural querying might work better.

I found the most success comes from how metrics are used to tune different investment campaigns. Both Ads and natural key words can be tracked, so you may want to do a bit of both and see which one tends to yield better results, then slant your investment of time and money in that direction. You should revisit both regularly as market changes could drive you to alter how you approach site attractiveness.

I hope this helps.
InsideSpin

Return to Marketing