Switching into marketing

Switching into marketing

Postby akw » Mon May 10, 2010 8:48 pm

I come from the technical side of the company. I think it's important for me to get exposure to the marketing (and sales) aspects of a software business.

Got any advice for me? Where do I start? How do I convince people that I have the skills for a marketing role?

Akw
Last edited by akw on Sun May 23, 2010 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
akw

Re: Switching into market

Postby cadman_chui » Thu May 13, 2010 7:35 pm

The way I've seen it happen in the past, is that a technical person gains access and exposure to the marketing side of the business through product management. The product management discipline usually involves both technical and marketing aspects of one or more product lines, and is probably the best and fastest way to get into the marketing aspect of the business. You would start in product management by defining requirements, and you would take on a central role in product launches. These product launches would require interfacing with marketing when you translate product features and functions into clear benefits for prospects and customers. You would be involved in collateral creation, whitepaper development, presentations, web seminars and competitive analysis.

The other way to increase your changes of getting more exposure on the marketing side is to take some marketing courses in university or get an MBA and specialize in marketing.

Hope that helps.

Cadman.
cadman_chui

Postby LoveGolf » Fri May 14, 2010 1:37 pm

I think the role of product management is a key entry point. You can also look to take a few steps by participating in some external marketing activities such as volunteering for trade show duties, running technical web seminars, etc. If you also participate in any of the company's customer communications through support, you could look to publish some customer materials that help convey marketing messages. This demonstrates to the broader team that you can handle a scope that extends beyond the technical nuances of the day.

LG
LoveGolf

Postby akw » Sat May 15, 2010 11:09 pm

Great Ideas - thanks!
akw

Return to Marketing