Board meetings are not running well -- what to do?

Board meetings are not running well -- what to do?

Postby LoveGolf » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:38 pm

I've had a handful of Board meetings so far (monthly) and we almost never complete the agenda or fully get through the materials the team spends time putting together. I'm starting to view the whole board thing a waste of time, i'm surprised how my board members are so inefficient at managing the meeting (i'm not the chairperson). Any suggestions? I don't want to turn off getting value from these meetings -- maybe I should expect less? Any advice would be appreciated.

LG
LoveGolf

Re: Board meetings are not running well -- what to do?

Postby Jacob » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:24 am

You have everyone prepare their work before hand. When ever there is a meeting, it is never no more than an hour in length. You do not chit chat, eat food, drink coffee or have fun. You say your points, make sure you get straight to the topics, discuss the topics, and interrupt others when needed, then you get back to work when the meeting is done or one hour exceeds.

What's the advantages of doing your company meetings like this?
It will make everyone at the meeting know that it's serious time, not joking time, or relax time. They'll be prepared, ready to discuss everything they need to, and it will make the end result the best possible result you can get.

Who uses this method?
Bob Parsons (Founder & CEO of GoDaddy).
Jacob Pollack.
Jacob

Re: Board meetings are not running well -- what to do?

Postby akw » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:57 pm

akw

Return to Boards and Governance